Thursday, January 05, 2006

How well do you know me?

I just heard a bit of news today. Rather startling news, actually. The story itself isn't that unusual. Just one of your cut and dried articles that is just read from behind the news desk at 6 o'clock one evening.

It's a story of a bank robbery. Nothing really major. Noone was hurt. All he took was the cash from the drawers. He even got away. Until a witness from outside the bank identified the van to the police and they then caught him on the highway heading home.

Now he's in jail. As he should be.

But the shocker is...I know this guy...or I thought I did. I never would have expected this from him in a million years. I thought he was a successful man who loved his family and was never unnecessarily stressed. Perhaps I was mistaken...

Now his wife and three kids are left without a husband/dad. Or a vehicle. It was used in the getaway and then impounded.

How well do I really know my friends?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Blue Like Jazz? Because this reminds me of something Miller says in his book about the things we are capable of, yet all too often fail to admit. I hope everything works out ok for him and especially his family. I can't imagine what that would be like...