Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Stories

i officially have the coolest grandparents. for example:

"There's safety in numbers," says Grandpa, speaking of his younger years "I always made it a point then to take at least 5 girls with me when I went out to parties. I would just let them argue over who got to sit in the front seat!"

-------------------------------

"'Don't fall for one of them,'" says Grandma, talking to her fellow nurses about the wounded soldiers in their ward during WWII, "'you know what will happen! As soon as they step foot in the US they'll be callin up all their other girlfriends and forgetting you, and all you'll be left with is heartbreak.' And you know what I did?"

-------------------------------

Grandma tells of a road trip to Missouri soon after 'the war' when cars were not being manufactured and good ones were hard to come by:
"comin home in that old car i had little eddie next to me, a pillow shoved in the crack where i could see the road through the floor of the car so that he wouldn't fall through, we had the back packed full of everything they could send with us, a cured ham lashed to one side of the bumper, and a sack o' potatoes tied to the other side!"

-------------------------------

And then a bit of dating advice from Grandma:
"My first date with Vilmer, he made me get out and push the car because it ran out of gas! Can you believe that!?! As soon as that happened, I said to myself, 'Never again! You push your own car!' It didn't bother me so much that it ran out of gas as much as the fact that he asked a girl out without even checking to see if he had enough gas! I never saw him again!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes, sitting around the table with Grandpa and Grandma for a couple hours, listening to them talk of days gone by can be one of the most entertaining ways to spend an evening.

i only wish i had a video camera to record it all. or at least an ipod to record the audio.

i guess it will have to live on in my memory now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! i love such stories.
thanks for sharing!

Lesley Girl said...

Lol...
...and grandparents are great... enjoy them
laters

Anonymous said...

LOL! That's awesome. I love grandparents with cool stories. My Papa used to tell some like that...I could be entertained for hours. At one point, I was going to write a book with all his stories of the Depression and WWII. But he passed away before I could really get into the project. That's always bothered me...I had a chance at capturing living history and missed it.

Anyway, your grandparents sound like a lot of fun.

Amanda said...

Haha awesome. My favorite grandpa story was from when I was like 12. Me and Grandpa and Cassi (my sister) were driving down the dirt road to their house at night and we saw a oppossum. So me, being the crazy animal lover I was, told my grandpa to watch out and don't hit the opposum. Grandpa, being the crazy old man he was (although an amazing person... and I could go on and on about his life), he hit it on purpose. I started crying and he started laughing because it was, what he called, a "double thumper". Meaning that he successfully ran over it with both the front tire and the back tire. I didn't like him for very long after that... then he gave me ice cream with chocolate syrup and sprinkles. My all time favorite.
:-)