Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Toasting Life

I wrote this a while back. But I just happened to pick up a book today, and out fell the paper on which I'd originally written this.

And as I read through it again, it hit me how fitting is is for today, being New Years Day, as well as the whole of the coming year.

Originally, it was titled "Of Living Death". Somehow, that isn't fitting anymore. I like it better this way. I like the idea of...


Toasting Life

Time and place
Rhyme and rhythm
Why are they so elusive?
Pictures and visions
Thoughts and dreams
There's only one life to live.

If wind could only
Talk of what it's seen
Would it tell of vanished hopes?
And dreams could only
Speak their piece
Revealing emptiness of imagination?

When thoughts have given
way to words
And dreams to written
Plans of future
Why do I sit in blissful trance
Not quite moving to the rhythm of dance?

Treat this peace
this wretched calm
As if it were living hell
Now end this suffocation
Of perfect dreams
There's only one life to live.

No comments: